Can I Modify My Child Custody Agreement?

If your current child custody order is no longer working for your family, it may be time to make some modifications to it. One way to approach this would be to first discuss it with your former spouse to see if you can agree to a new arrangement. However, if you cannot see eye-to-eye on a new arrangement, you can petition the court with your request.

Modifying the Terms of Your Child Custody Order

Family courts generally believe in maintaining stability and consistency when it comes to children, so if you wish to modify your child custody order, there will be a heavy burden on you to prove that the new arrangement will serve their best interests. You will also have to prove that there was a substantial change in circumstances that was unpreventable. If the judge believes you are trying to modify your child custody agreement to harm your co-parent’s relationship with them, this will not reflect well on you in court and it is unlikely your request will be granted.

Below are some factors a judge will consider in a child custody modification case:

  • If the reason for the modification is relocation, the court will examine the moving parent’s motives.
  • If the child’s life will be disrupted by the modification.
  • If the new visitation schedule is practical for the other parent.
  • If both parents discussed a way to redo the visitation schedule.

If your co-parent is not complying with the current child custody order, this is another situation in which the court may consider a modification. However, it is important that you hire an experienced family law attorney to handle your case and ensure the best possible results.

Discuss the Details of Your Child Custody Modification Case with One of Our Attorneys Today!

The terms of your child custody agreement are not designed to last forever, so if your circumstances changed substantially or your ex is not complying with the current order, you can petition the court for a modification. At Arnel Law Firm, our experienced family law team can provide the guidance you need to secure the best arrangement for you and your children. We understand how important your children are to you and will work tirelessly to protect their best interests.

Reach out to our law office today at (718) 550-3024 to set up a case review with a member of our team to learn more about your legal options and how we can help you.