Divorce is a stressful and overwhelming process for everyone involved and it can take a particularly big toll on children. In many cases, a divorce can bring the fears of a child to the forefront, triggering a cycle of anxiety. If you are going through a divorce and have children, you may be wondering what you can do to help them cope and if sending therapy can help get them through it. Although every child is unique and will react differently to divorce, therapy can help children process this major life-altering event, and minimize the negative impact it may have.
Help Your Children Cope with Divorce
It is not uncommon for a divorce to impact a child’s academic performance, increase aggression, or create problems related to separation anxiety. If you think your divorce is hitting your children particularly hard, talk to your spouse about the matter. If you are not on the same page, you may have to address this matter in court, but ensuring your children get the mental healthcare they need will be worth it.
Below are some signs that you should consider therapy for your child:
- Your child is exhibiting regressive behaviors, including thumb-sucking, bedwetting, refusing to go to bed, and tantrums
- Your child is having more crying episodes
- Your child believes the divorce was their fault
- Your child is exhibiting rebellious or aggressive behaviors
- Your child is showing signs of separation anxiety
Of course, therapy is not a cure-all, so here are some ways in which you can help your child cope with divorce:
- Encourage your child to about their fears and respect their feelings.
- Reassure your child that the divorce will not change your relationship with them and that you love them. You should also let them know that there is nothing they could have done to prevent it.
- Although new routines may need to be created as a result of your divorce, try to keep the same routines for homework, playtime, and bedtime. Consistency will help your children feel safe.
Divorce will be hard for your children no matter what, but with extra care and attention, you can get through it together.
Speak to One of Our Knowledgeable Legal Professionals About Your Divorce Today!
If you are divorcing your spouse, hiring an experienced family law attorney can help ensure the process goes as smoothly as possible. At Arnel Law Firm, our experienced legal team will provide the compassionate guidance and skilled representation you need to navigate it.
Reach out to our law office today at (718) 550-3024 to schedule a consultation with a member of our team to get started!