In New York, life moves quickly. If you are divorced or you and the other parent of your child share custody, it’s important to stay on top of significant changes in your life to ensure your divorce agreements are up to date.

For some, a significant change in income may require increased child support payments. In other cases, remarriage, a job change or relocation may be the reason behind revisiting divorce or custody agreements. Instead of just letting these issues go by unchecked, it’s important to work with an attorney who can help ensure you comply with the law and that you are being treated fairly.

Making modifications that affect you and your children

After a divorce, people’s lives change. You may take a new job, move outside the city or go back to school. Similarly, your children’s lives will change. Depending on how old your kids are, they may start partaking in extracurricular activities that require travel and additional costs, transfer to a private school or need other forms of financial assistance as their needs change.

At Curt Arnel & Associates, we can help you make sense of your options and revise your divorce, custody and support agreements. Some of the most common types of modifications we handle include:

  • Parental relocation
  • Modifications to spousal support (alimony)
  • Modifications to child support
  • Helping parents pursue back child support
  • Modifications to child custody and visitation agreements

There are many factors to consider when making modifications. For example, if you can’t keep up with your support payments because you willfully left your job, the court will likely not look favorably on your request for a modification. However, if you were injured and rendered disabled and no longer able to work, you may have more options for modifying your agreements.

By working with a lawyer, you will have a firm idea of your options and a guide when pursuing or responding to requests for modifications.