Arnel Law Firm
Free Consultations 347-966-7378
Experienced Family Law Guidance And Advocacy Since 1983

A lawyer can help you collect unpaid child support

If your former spouse has not been paying child support, hiring a lawyer to help you get what is due is often your best and most efficient option.

Under federal law, your child's parent or parental equivalent must pay court-ordered child support. This is true even if the noncustodial parent is not allowed to see the child. It is also true if the noncustodial parent lives in a different state from you and your children. The Deadbeat Parents Punishment Act of 1998 holds noncustodial parents' accountable for unpaid child support - even if the noncustodial parent moves to another state.

However, the process of filing a petition is daunting and the laws vary by state as does each family's situation. How well you communicate with the noncustodial parent can also complicate the situation, which makes it all the more prudent to hire a family law attorney.

How Can a Lawyer Make It Easier to Claim Unpaid Child Support in Arrears?

Child support agreements and their enforcement can be complex for both parents. A skilled family law lawyer is able to help you with the following when it comes to backdated child support that has not been paid:

· Explain how child support is calculated in your state

· Assess both parents' custodial, marital, and financial situations to determine whether a modification is due

· Clarify terms in child support court orders

· Explain the rules and regulations surrounding child support enforcement

· File relevant court documents

· Collect and enforce child support payments

· Negotiate for you in and out of court proceedings

Using a lawyer can drastically streamline the process of filing a court order and chasing after the non-custodial parent, saving you a great deal of stress and effort.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact The Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Arnel Law Firm

26 Court Street
Suite 1012
Brooklyn, NY 11242

Phone: 347-966-7378
Fax: 718-875-8951
Brooklyn Law Office Map