Curt Arnel & Associates
Reasonable Fees Free Consultationsphones answered 9AM - 5:30PM Mon-Fri

347-966-7378 866-625-6348

DJ Funkmaster Flex seeks to avoid increase in child support

Imagine that you have primary custody of your child. Your child's other parent has been paying child support to you for many years, but you know that he or she is making substantially more money now than when child support payments were first determined. You want to send your child to a better school or pay for him or her to enroll in extracurricular activities, but you can't afford it. What would you do?

If you know your ex's salary has increased, or if your child's needs have changed, one option is to seek an increase in child support payments. Consider the current case of DJ Funkmaster Flex, of New York, and his ex-girlfriend.

The two share a child for whom Flex has been paying $4,000 a month in child support. When child support payments were initially ordered in 2003, Flex -- who is a DJ for Hot 97 and hosts a show on MTV -- was making $245,000. Today, his is making $373,000 according to court papers filed recently.

To pay for summer camp, participation on the swim team, private school, and tutoring, the mother is seeking a $1,000 monthly increase in child support payments from Flex. Flex, however, has filed court papers arguing that his payments should stay the same because summer camp and private school are not "needs."

It is easy to see both sides of this case. A mother wants the best life possible for her son, and the father thinks you should draw the line somewhere. The mother's attorney argued, however, that, "Every child deserves to be supported in the same lifestyle as his father." Ultimately, a judge will have the last say. It will be interesting to see what is decided.

Source: New York Post, "DJ Funkmaster Flex battles ex over child support," Julia Marsh, Jan. 21, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.